The converged interconnect network (CIN), which will consolidate all of Tele Columbus AG’s services onto a single, high-performance network, will be built on Juniper Networks’ Cloud Metro infrastructure and NEC’s xHaul transformation services. Juniper Networks, a leader in secure, AI-driven networks, and NEC Corporation (NEC; TSE: 6701), a leading global IT and network transformation services provider, announced their collaboration with Tele Columbus AG today. In order to support sustainable company development and constantly provide scalable, excellent digital entertainment and business service experiences while successfully managing costs and environmental concerns, Tele Columbus is investing in the next-generation network. The new platform’s initial launch, which is crucial to this project, will happen in early 2023.
One of Germany’s top providers of fiber optic networks, Tele Columbus AG has access to more than 3 million residences. The business provides high-speed internet, telephone, and more than 200 TV channels under the PUR brand. All of this is done through a digital entertainment platform that mixes linear TV with entertainment on demand. The Tele Columbus Group provides specialized methods of collaboration and cutting-edge services like telemetric and tenant portals to its housing association clients. The organization is actively promoting the development of Germany’s fiber-based infrastructure and broadband internet as a full-service partner for local governments and regional utilities. In an expanding, very competitive industry, Tele Columbus made the decision to switch from its current network design to an open architecture to maintain profitability, relevance, and differentiation.
Creating the Cloud Metro Network for Tele Columbus
- Tele Columbus chose Juniper’s Cloud Metro solution to build a Converged Interconnect Network (CIN) that enables all consumer and business services to be managed and delivered more affordably from a single infrastructure after consulting with and thorough validations led by NEC 5G Transport Network Center of Excellence (CoE) in EMEA.
- Future-oriented sustainable expansion was a crucial factor for Tele Columbus. In order to support clients as their capacity demands rise, Juniper NetworksTM ACX7000 Family solutions provide category-leading port speed options, enabling a simple transition from 100G to 400G with several choices of optics. Future-proof performance of the ACX7000 allows extended system life, improved economics, and ultimately decreased e-waste.
- The ACX7000 Family’s capacity to provide scale-out configurations for dispersed access enables greater optical reach closer to users, assisting Tele Columbus in continually providing the greatest user experience. The layer-3 design of the ACX7000, along with improved connection efficiency, offers simple, affordable extension into additional sites and investment protection to accommodate future capacity increases.
- NEC is offering xHaul transformation services that are specifically designed to satisfy Tele Columbus’s business needs. In order to ensure that the adoption of the new platform improves their service quality and competitiveness, the services are based on its CoE’s global telecom expertise combined with local engineering support for Tele Columbus throughout design, deployment, and operation, including training and optimization efforts.
Flexibility & Agility
- Tele Columbus intended to relocate services and establish its new network in stages. Data centers, the network core, and the metro network are now under construction. The first wave of customers will be connected during the first half of 2023. Following ongoing phases that include automation for operational efficiency over time, a full, carefully managed transfer to Cloud Metro will take place.
- Tele Columbus was also interested in the Juniper and NEC companies’ more straightforward approaches to technology and deployment, which have fewer parts and a single operating system (Junos® and OS Evolved) that runs from beginning to finish.
- Tele Columbus has a very proactive approach to fulfilling its environmental obligations, thus the company was eager to make sure that investment in new infrastructure backed up its plan and reduced TCO.
“German subscribers – as elsewhere – are already focused on the performance, scalability, and reliability of digital services as those will become even more important differentiators in the future. In order to meet these expectations in the context of exponential data growth, we stepped ahead transforming our technology platform and by that shaping our business for the future. The Cloud Metro solution, the partnership of Juniper and NEC, and attentive local support matched our needs and have shown us the value of simplicity, innovation, and open, multi-vendor principles. This has enabled a migration path that honors Tele Columbus’ vision, sustainability imperatives, and commercial considerations front and center.”
– Michael Fränkle, Chief Technology Officer, Tele Columbus AG
“NEC is honored to contribute to Tele Columbus’s transformation journey in tight coordination with Juniper. The validation of Juniper’s Cloud Metro in our CoE lab has proven it as a robust, scalable, and sustainable solution, and one of the essential pillars of NEC xHaul Transformation Services, to innovate our customers’ transport network to the next generation. NEC is committed to continuing supporting Tele Colombus’ business success as a local partner in Germany, as well as our valued customers across the globe.”
– Hideyuki Ogata, General Manager of the Service Provider Solutions Department, NEC
“Juniper is thrilled to be selected by Tele Columbus as a new strategic vendor, working alongside our Global Alliance partner NEC. The business strategy driving Tele Columbus’s network transformation confirms that traditional, device-centric “retro metro” network solutions are no longer fit-for-purpose. Our Cloud Metro solution is uniquely designed to overcome the overlapping pressures of service scalability, user experience demands, environmental considerations, and operational cost efficiencies that are faced by today’s service providers.”
- Brendan Gibbs, Senior Vice President of Automated WAN Solutions, Juniper Networks